Friday, February 10, 2017

Minimalist Kitchen: The Appliances You Can Live Without


When I began to embrace minimalism as a way of decluttering our home, I looked at my kitchen and asked, how can I live without all my favorite kitchen utensils and appliances?  There was no way I was getting rid of my favorite wooden spoons and my Ninja blender.

It was then that I realized that I was approaching minimalism the wrong way.

Minimalism is meant for you to get rid of the meaningless, the duplicates, the stuff that you constantly have to care for, but never get any use out of it.  My favorite kitchen things definitely get used and they bring me joy, so I keep them because they are more than just "things."

The second time I looked at my kitchen, I began to realize that there are things that I am already adjusted to not having--that most would think are essential to a functioning kitchen, but that may not be so.

So, here are the top four appliances I currently live without in a minimalist kitchen:

The Microwave 

This is a hard one for a lot of people.  We've become so accustomed to an "instant" lifestyle, which often leaves us extremely disconnected from our food.  By eliminating the microwave, I believe you are eliminating a large portion of processed and instant foods from your life. 

But how will you warm your coffee? How will you reheat your left overs?

A stove and oven will become your best friend.  Coffee easily warms when poured into a small pot and brought to a simmer, often taking only a few minutes.  Left overs, such as pizza, can be reheated on the stove-top in a pan, bringing out the crispy crust once again.  Microwaves often change the taste of our foods, while the oven and stove-top revive the foods that we enjoy so much.  Albeit a convenient few seconds, we are taking away the beauty that comes from the freshness of natural heat, whether you have an electric or gas stove.

Still not convinced? 

I have now lived without a microwave for 3 years and I never have run into a problem where I can't cook something or use something because I don't have a microwave. Our tiny kitchen literally has no space for a microwave, even a small, dorm-sized microwave won't fit.  The best things about not having a microwave? Better tasting food and more counter space for a tiny kitchen! 

Don't believe me? Check out The Minimalist Mom to hear about her experience so far without a microwave.

The Toaster Oven

One minimalist motto that's common is "No Duplicates."

While the toaster oven may toast your toast, it is essentially a mini oven that bakes at a slightly faster rate.  I advise that you skip the toaster oven and utilize your oven for baking and purchase a compact toaster that may easily be stored away so you are left with a clean and minimal counter top.

| Anything your toaster oven can do, your oven can do better. |

I make this claim because I remember being mesmerized the first time I used a toaster oven.  Oh, how delicious was the lightly melted cheese when making egg sandwiches and how evenly the toast was browned.  I completely understand the appeal of the toaster oven.  But, its not essential.

Your oven's broil setting will give you that same deliciously melted cheese and a toaster will sufficiently and more quickly toast your toast.  With minimalism, there is a balance between not having duplicates and utilizing what you already have.  This is so you have less "things" to maintain and clean and more time to enjoy your food, your setting, and your life.

The Standing Mixer

While the aesthetics of a standing mixer are pleasing for a kitchen, the reality is that they can be extremely impractical.  Often times, they are large and bulky taking up ample counter space. If you do opt to hide it away in a cupboard, then you are planning on lifting over 20 pounds each time you use it.

I highly recommend staying away from the standing mixer.  Food processors or a hand mixer take up far littler space in the realm of storage.  My personal favorite, as far as a mixing device, is an all-in-one blender set, which includes a food processor and blender. It tends to be much lighter in weight and is easier to store away.

While many recipes call for using a mixer, it is often easy to adapt the recipe to hand mixing or using a food processor.  These alternatives provide you with both a quick mixing process and a much easier maintenance routine.

The Dishwasher 

Growing up in a 100 year old farm house, I always did dishes by hand.  Since then, I have always lived in homes that did not have dishwashers and it has not bothered me a bit. It encourages me to keep up with washing the dishes, an always dreaded chore, and saves a tremendous amount of water.

You have a dishwasher, so you're supposed to stop using it?

That is definitely not the case. But, there are ways to have and use a dishwasher in a more intentional and conscious way.  For instance, some people wash their dishes by hand and merely use the dish washer for storage, leaving more cupboard space for you.  Others, will hand wash and use the sanitation cycle.  The bottom line is find a method that works for you and your family as you come to embrace minimalism.

Still skeptical? For a more intimate take on living minimally without a dishwasher, check out Becoming Minimalist's post on why he chose to stop using the dishwasher.

Now that you know what appliances I don't use, what are the kitchen appliances that you live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment