Thursday, March 9, 2017

Minimal Makeup


I have always viewed makeup as an art form, and I believe that we have seen a major transformation in the last few years in the portrayal of makeup.  Personally, though, makeup has always been somewhat of a stress for me.  So, a minimalist makeup routine keeps me happy and helps me express myself.

Let me share with you how I simplified my routine and my beauty products, bringing a more peaceful makeup practice.

About a year ago, I stopped wearing makeup altogether because I found out that I was allergic to many beauty products, particularly ones that contain copper.  A few months ago, I began to feel kind of "blah," feeling like I lost a way of expressing myself because I couldn't find products that wouldn't damage my skin.

So, naturally, I started conducting my own research and examining the beauty products that I already had.

Sorting Out the Bad


I started by separating out the beauty products that I found copper and other related minerals. These items I tried to toss out altogether, but felt guilty because some of them were rather expensive. After one or two times wearing these products and damaging my skin once again, I knew that I couldn't put this kind of stress on my body, despite the expense of the product.

After this experience, I got rid of all the items that I knew for sure irritated my skin.

As a minimalist, it is important to not hang on to products that do not provide function and joy to your life. These items especially didn't for me, so out they go!

Finding the Good


Now that I got rid of all of the products that immediately damaged my skin, I began to look deeper into the products I was using.  Asking myself, do I really need to wear this?  How can I simplify the application process in order to save time?  Is there multi-functioning products I can be using?

As I began contemplating these questions, I also decided that I didn't want to waste products that I could continue using until I ran out.  Being more conscious of waste has been a side-effect for me of the minimalist lifestyle. I decided that when I purchase new products they will be ones that do not practice animal testing and will be organic and natural.

First and foremost though, I will finish the products that I can use, and as I run out I will begin to purchase products that align with my new lifestyle choices.

What I'm Using Now


Here are the types of products I'm using right now:
  • Black Eyeliner
  • Mascara
  • Face Primer
  • Cheek/Lip Tint
  • Highlighter
  • Blush
I still have room to work on simplifying my routine, but for now, I'm happy with these items.  When I begin running out of these products I plan on purchasing my makeup from a small family business that does not use copper or nickel in their makeup products nor conduct animal testing. It is important to do your own research on the company you plan on purchasing your products from in order to determine what is best for you.

Minimalism & Makeup


The telling of my own experience with simplifying my makeup routine is not meant to be an exact map for everyone to follow.  The overall goal is to rid yourself of the excess--excess being the products you no longer use or that you may have never used.

It is also important to invoke the "one in, one out" rule so that you are not purchasing extra products. This is why I will be waiting to purchase any new products until after I have used the ones that I already have.

--

Have you simplified your makeup routine? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment