Sunday, March 5, 2017

Minimalist Love for Coconut Oil


In the last few years, coconut oil has become incredibly popular in various aspects of the home.  I used to just brush it off as the newest fad, but, honestly, coconut oil changed my skin care routine for the better!

Lets be real with each other.

This winter has been an extremely dry one in California.  I hear friends and family always making comments about how dry their skin is and I always offer coconut oil as a remedy.

For the past year, I have been using coconut oil as a remedy for dry skin, a face lotion, a make-up remover, and even when I suffered from a severe sunburn this past summer. With no break outs and my dry skin no longer being an issue at all, I think its safe to say that this stuff is amazing!

Coconut oil has essentially become my go-to when it comes to health and beauty routine.  I love that I have found one product that can do so much for your daily routine, making simplifying the home easier and minimalist living a breeze.

When it comes to skin care, I use coconut oil in a variety of ways. Here are a few that I recommend:

Coconut Oil & Skin Care


Facial & Body Lotion

Apply a dime size amount of coconut oil to your face and let soak in for 10-15 minutes before applying makeup.  If coconut oil is in a hardened state, simply hold in your hands.  Your body heat will liquefy it.

Makeup Remover

If you wear makeup, its hard to find a makeup remover that doesn't dry out your skin eventually. To use coconut oil, place a quarter size amount in your hands and begin gently rubbing, starting with your eyes.  Continue rubbing until you do not feel your mascara on your eye lashes.  Rinse your face with cold water.  Use a wash cloth to wipe off excess oil and makeup.

When finished, apply a dime size amount of coconut oil to your face to re-moisturize.

Sunburn Remedy

The discovery of coconut oil as a healing remedy for sunburns was discovered on accident this past summer.  I had blistering on my lips and face, and the typical aloe solution burned when I applied it to my sunburn.  I began applying coconut oil out of desperation.  I found that it was soothing and I had little to no peeling afterwards.  I highly recommend this for those with highly sensitive skin.

How to Store Your Coconut Oil (in your bathroom!)

I found a small jar at Marshall's to keep my skin coconut oil in.  I store it on the counter top in my bathroom.  Keep at room temperature.

I recommend using a separate jar than the one that you purchase it in because its not sanitary to be sticking your hands in the same coconut oil that you use to eat.

Purchasing Coconut Oil


When purchasing coconut oil that you intend to use as a skin product, it is recommend that you choose organic and unrefined.  

Now the one shown here that I have been using for the past year is organic, but it is not unrefined. I intend this blog to be honest and not written through rose colored glasses.  So, here is the first coconut oil that I ever purchased and it has lasted me well over a year. I definitely intend on my next purchase being organic and unrefined, but I'm here to tell you that this one works just as well, it is just more processed.

--

What are some ways that you use coconut oil in your household?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't heard of oil pulling! What is it exactly?

      & thank you for sharing! 💁🏻🏡🌿

      Delete
  2. I'm probably not the best one to explain it (Pinterest for sure does it better), but you essentially swish coconut oil in your to remove toxins. It's said to remove acne, whiten teeth, etc. I didn't have enough follow through to see results though haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so interesting, I will definitely look into this! Thank you for sharing with everyone.

      xoxo
      The Minimalist Cottage

      Delete